Erasmus Smith Trust Archives
The archives of The Erasmus Smith Trust extend from about 1650 to the present day. They are reasonably complete, although documentation of the schools is slightly lacking in the late 18th century.
|Opening hours and access policy:||Mon-Tue; 10:30-12:30, 13:30-17:00;|
|Wed 10:30-13:00, 14:00-17:00.|
|By appointment only, fees may apply, see website for details.|
There is a complete set of minute books for meetings of the Board of Governors dating from 1674, as well as accounts from 1673, legal papers 1671-1959 and letter books from 1810-1930. The Estates are well documented in maps which date from 1711 and property documents such as leases, fee farm grants and conveyances 1658-c.1980; rental books 1658-c.1980 which give the names of tenants and sometimes also detail the quality and use made of the lands; Irish Land Commission documents and valuations 1879-1940. There are also land agent letter books for 1862-1911 and files of correspondence 1859-c.1980 for agents and solicitors who took care of the estates on behalf of the Governors.
Records for the High School, Dublin date from 1870-present; Drogheda Grammar School (open from 1679-1938), 1680–1956; Galway Grammar School (open from 1678-1958), 1715–1962; Tipperary Grammar School, The Abbey School (open from c.1676–c.1920), 1760–1939; Ennis Grammar School (open from 1777-1891), 1832–1930. These are files of letters relating to the maintenance and staffing, plans for alterations to school premises and records of the events that shaped the schools. For The High School, Dublin, there are also some photographs of class groups, sports teams and school events dating from 1871.
The English Schools' records contain letters from the teachers and superintendents to the Registrar regarding the running of the schools from 1778– c.1980. There are also reports from teachers and inspectors on the school 1852-1935. Plans and estimates for the building of some of the English Schools also exist in the archives, including architectural plans for 64 buildings 1803-1902.
There are also archives of the many court cases, in which the Board of Governors were involved, mostly relating to tenants on the estates. There are letters and accounts relating to Christ's Hospital, London, England 1651-1912; The King's Hospital, Dublin 1807-1941; exhibitions, scholarships, professors salaries and other matters relating to Trinity College, Dublin 1702-1956; Great Brunswick Street Commercial School, Dublin 1871-1899 and reports on education in Ireland from the turn of the 20th century.
|Additional Facilities:||Photocopying and the use of digital cameras are at the discretion of the archivist.|
|Address:||"Danum", Zion Road, Rathgar, Dublin 6|
|Telephone:||+353 (1) 492 2611, ext 171|
|Fax:||+353 (1) 492 4427|